Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Group Projects and Presentations



Group Projects and Presentations
 I am learning rather quickly that group projects and presentations are a big part of my curriculum for my courses. I like this (Now) lol! In the beginning I had my doubts because well let’s face it, no one really likes group projects. People don’t like them not because of the work or assignments themselves, but the fact that usually one person ends up doing ALL of the work. That gets old really fast, and from my personal experiences I was usually that person in my groups! This is where Grad School differs from your undergrad. In undergrad you have the overachievers, the type- A personalities, the procrastinators, the I don’t care that much group, the oh a B- that’s great group, and etc., I think you’re getting the idea. However, in Graduate School we are all the overachievers and type- A personalities who want that A+ and to do our very best work. This is a wonderful thing because everyone shares ideas, puts in the time and effort, and at the end of it you make some great friends who you may want to work with again and hopefully get that A+. In Grad School everyone wants to do well and you will all be from the top of your classes, striving to be the very best you can.

Why I now like group projects/presentations
I like group presentations now because they help me learn things through other people’s eyes. For example, in my advanced clinical methods class we have to do chapter presentations and therapy presentations. I will now always and forever remember Joint Attention as one of my classmates using a baby doll to demonstrate it. That image instantly pops into my head when I hear the words. Also, our brains are only so big and so creative, it is nice to see other people’s perspectives, therapy ideas, and activities. Group presentations and projects allow you to make friends, work with others, increase your public speaking, and allow you to really engage in what you are learning/presenting.

Helpful suggestions for how to master group presentations
·         Start early
·         Divide the work evenly
·         Set up meeting times ahead of time
·         Come to meeting prepared by reading the necessary material, taking notes, and knowing about the topic (this helps cut down on time).
·         Stay organized
·         Dress business casual
·         Be mindful of your “ums”, speed, and eye contact
·         Practice your presentations before you present (this helps you work out any kinks your presentation has, determine an order that flows, and helps you become more comfortable).

Hope this helps you look at group presentations with a different outlook and feel more confident when completing one!
                                                                        -Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment