Friday, December 4, 2015

The Final Countdown......




           It is hard to believe that in almost 9 months (pending I pass my praxis and comprehensive program examination lol fingers crossed) I will be a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist! My cohort found out earlier this month that we have the option to graduate this August or stay on our regular track for December. I have chosen to graduate this August. I chose this route for a few reasons: 1.) money, this will save me a whole semester of having to pay out of pocket for additional fees and possibly increased tuition. 2.) That final fall semester I would only be taking one class which seems silly to me. 3.) I will now be able to start my Clinical Fellowship in September verses January. This will not only allow me to finish sooner, but there will more opportunities (especially in schools). 4.) Finally, the obvious. I have been in school for a total of 18 going on 19 years, and as much as I love it I am ready to start my career and the next chapter of my life!

I know this route will not be easily but, I know it will be worth it. Next semester, I will be taking 1 core course, 2 electives, and completing my final clinical practicum in a school setting along with a class component. This summer, I will be taking a total of 3 courses, studying for my comprehensive program examination (which I will be taking in August), and studying for my praxis. In addition, I will be back in the office of Graduate & Continuing Studies which I CANNOT WAIT FOR, I miss my grad family!


When I think about the next couple of months I could cry inside of panic, stress, anxiety, and more. However, I know I am not in it alone. Other people in my cohort have chosen this option as well and we have already been taking about have study groups, wine nights, sleepovers, and more. The support of my cohort and family is what will help keep me pushing forward. Furthermore, the reward after it all is the real prize. Every day I will get to change/improve people’s lives and make a true impact on them. That feeling alone is motivation enough!

-Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment