Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Scholarships 101 at Stockton




As a Stockton student we have the opportunity to apply for Foundation Scholarships through the Stockton Foundation.

 What exactly is the Stockton Foundation?

The Stockton University Scholarship Program is administered by the Office of Development & Alumni Affairs in conjunction with the Office of Enrollment Management. The scholarship program, made possible by both University funding and private donations to the Stockton University Foundation, provides awards to outstanding freshmen, upperclassmen and graduate students. Awards to upperclassmen and graduate students are determined by a presidential-appointed Scholarship Selection Committee. This Committee includes representatives of the faculty, administration, and Board of Directors of the Stockton University Foundation.

Who can apply for these scholarships?
Qualified students may apply to the Scholarship Program on an annual basis. Successful applicants exhibit high academic achievement as well as leadership and service to the University and community. Award recipients maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and are fully matriculated students.

This year’s application process information:
The Stockton University Foundation application process for the 2016-2017 academic year will begin Friday, January 29 and remain open until Tuesday, March 29. Qualified students will receive a link to apply online starting Friday, January 29, 2016.

Link to the Foundation Scholarship website: https://intraweb.stockton.edu/eyos/page.cfm?siteID=221&pageID=243


My Foundation Scholarship Story  

I was beyond fortunate to have graduated with a Bachelors of Arts from Stockton in 2014 with minimal debt. Thanks to my parents starting a college fund for me when I was little, and being able to financially support me throughout my undergraduate career. This allowed me to solely focus on my education, and fully immersing myself in all that Stockton had to offer.

However, when it came time to paying for graduate school, I knew it was on me. I was beyond blessed to have received a graduate assistantship through the office of graduate and continuing studies during my first year of graduate school. During my spring semester of my first year though, the fear of money really began to set in. This is when I knew I needed to look for additional recourse. This is when, I applied for the Stockton Foundation Scholarships. For the first time I felt worthy enough of these awards, and knew I had the academic achievements to even begin to be considered. I am currently in my second year of the Masters of Science in Communication Disorders program, which means I am completing my clinical externships and unable to work. Additionally, I am taking 12 credits which has greatly increased my tuition. This year I received two foundation scholarships, and was selected to be the student speaker to represent The School of Graduate & Continuing Studies. These scholarships mean more to me than words could ever express. These awards helped take the financial burden off of myself and my family, have kept me from having to take out a private loan this semester, as my federal aid didn’t fully cover my tuition, and most of all they have put me at ease. 


If you are Stockton student I strongly encourage you to apply. If you are not a Stockton student see what opportunities your college/university offers for you. Applying/asking questions take no time and can lead you your goal!


Highlights from the scholarship dinner this year!









-Jessica 





No comments:

Post a Comment