Tuesday, August 30, 2016

How to Feel About Your First Day of Graduate Classes.



Anxious, nervous, excited, worried; as I mentally prepare myself for my first day of graduate classes starting this September, I have felt all of these emotions. Do I really want to put myself through two more years of writing papers, late night studying, and everyone’s favorite in-class presentations? And time and time again my answer is… yes.

As the first day approaches, the usual jitters are normal. Remind yourself that you got into grad school because of what you have accomplished so far as a student and an individual. These combinations of emotions are all acceptable. As an undergraduate moving on to graduate school, you are jumping into the ‘unknown’.

The ‘unknown’ is scary, but it’s also awesome! If you think of every new step you have taken in your life you can look back and truly see how far you’ve come. If you are anything like me, you have anxiety about everything. I get anxiety thinking about anxiety. The one thing I have learned however, is that you cannot let anxiety dull who you are. Have a voice in class, be professional, and remember to take everything in before it’s all gone. This will also translate to who you are as an individual in the real world. You can feel how you want about the first day of graduate classes, but the fact is that they’re right around the corner.

You can have all of the feelings and emotions in the world, but alongside these sensations, what you should feel is READY.

Go get ‘em!

                                                                                                         - Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment