Monday, September 8, 2014

My First Week of Graduate School



Well I did it, I survived my first two classes as a graduate student! I have to admit I was very nervous before my first class began, but knowing we were all in this together made me feel much better. Plus my professor is so nice and my cohort is wonderful, which gave me a sense of calmness and helped me breathe a little more. Graduate School is already so much different from my undergraduate career. There are a lot of readings, your expected to take more of role in teaching yourself material, a lot is expected of you as far as tests, quizzes, assignments, and projects, and overall it is a different level of work. On the flip side, it is so exciting to be learning about a field I have such passion for, I am making great friends, I have already learned more organization skills and better study habits, my professors are amazing, and I know no matter how challenging it may seem at times  I can do it! 

What I have learned already….
·         Organization is your best friend! Buy a good planner and mark everything in it, I even color coded mine by classes, work, and extras (this has already been very helpful).



·         Get ahead on work. There is no room for procrastination in grad school, use your weekend to get ahead on work for the week (you will thank yourself later). Make sure you have study time, family time, friends/boyfriend/girlfriend time, and of course time for yourself!! Studying with friends is a great way to get some work done as well as catch up with friends. It is also a great way to motivate yourself!




It’s only my first week, I am no expert on grad school yet and I know I still have a lot to learn. However, I have all of the tools for success and now I just have to put the time and effort in to achieve my goal! I am excited for what this semester has in store for me =)

 
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment