Monday, October 19, 2015

Passing the Praxis, Studying for Comps, & My FINAL Semester

This summer was extremely hectic and over whelming as I spent 40+ hours at my last clinical rotation at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Center, completed three classes, and studied for the Speech-Language Pathology Praxis.  The Praxis was the task I worried about most, knowing I needed an 81% (162/200) on the exam in order to receiving a passing score.  I studied almost every day for a month and periodically before that.  I am lucky to have had such great professors because most of my studying was a review.  

I encourage SLP students to purchase the Advanced Review of SLP book, which is basically a comprehensive review of all things speech.  It also comes with several practice praxis tests on a flash drive.  This book is pricey, but if you are as NSSHLA member, a discount may be available.  Although this book is very helpful for review, the questions are very concrete and rarely assess your ability to apply the information.  ETS, the company who creates and administers the test, has one revised Praxis practice test, and several old practice Praxis tests.  The Advanced Review of SLP also has several online tests you can purchase.  This purchase is strictly for practice tests.  These are excellent tools to use when studying for the test and gauging what you need to focus on when studying.

Unofficial results are displayed on your screen, but you are warned that the score is subject to change.  Test takers have to wait for the testing window to close and a few weeks before official scores are reported.  After a grueling three weeks, I received my scores and OH I PASSED on my first try!! :)

My recommendations:
- Don't start studying just a few weeks before.  This isn't a test you can "cram" for.  You need to know the information in and out and have to be able to apply your knowledge.  Plan your weeks out to review the chapters, take practice tests, and revise from there.
- Find a study buddy.  You don't need to study with this person or these people every time, but I found it extremely helpful to "talk it out" with my friends and learn how my friends were understanding or remembering the information.  It is always good to have a new perspective, especially with difficult material.
- Take A LOT of practice tests.  This will allow you to find out where you are having difficulty on the tests.  Most of the practice tests break down your incorrect answers, so you are able to focus on what you are having trouble with.
-  Study often, even for ten minutes a night.
- Review your class notes, not just the Advanced Review of SLP book.  I printed all of my midterm and final study guides and outlined important information.
- Trust your instincts.  Time your practice tests so you are able to gauge how much time you need to acutally complete the test and check your answers.

Advanced Review of SLP Book (with flashdrive)

After taking the Praxis, I had about two weeks off before I needed to get ready for my next and FINAL semester of graduate school.  My final course is Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations in Speech Language Pathology with Dr. Hernandez.  It is an interesting course delving into different cultures and how this will effect treatment, diagnosis, and counseling of these clients and their families.

At this point in the semester, a little over half of my cohort is about to take our comprehensive exam.  This exam is administered by Stockton's program and must be passed in order to graduate, unless the student has chosen a thesis route.  Because I spent so much time this summer studying for the Praxis, I feel that this has prepared me for the comps, but I do plan on studying and reviewing throughout October and early November to prep for the test.  I am happy I chose to take the comps rather than completing a thesis because all the studying I completed over the summer for the Praxis overlaps with the studying I am completing to take the comps.  Additionally, I was unable to decide on a subject to study for a thesis until later in my graduate career, past the deadline for a thesis proposal.  Upon completing the comps, I have just a few weeks left in the semester and will officially be done with my graduate career at Stockton University.  Here's to many more hours of studying for the comps while finishing my last semester as a MSCD student and working as a full time speech therapist.

Wish me luck!
- Kaitlyn

1 comment:

  1. من خلال مركز النور اصبح بامكانك الحصول على معادلة الهندسة باسهل الطرق الان
    اتصل بنا http://www.equation-college-engineering.com/

    ReplyDelete