Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Group Project OVERLOAD

I have NEVER been a fan of group projects.  Starting in elementary school up to undergraduate studies, I have always dreaded the time when my teacher or professor said "Okay, for this assignment, we are going to work in groups."  I could feel my stomach turning and my hands getting sweaty as I hoped and prayed for hard-working, focused students.  

I am the first one to admit I am a Type A student, organized, high-strung, focused on the task at hand while taking control and making sure everything is perfectly completed days before the due date.  I like to be the leader of the group, checking everyone's work, and making sure it matches and exceeds the expectation of the rubric.  


Graduate School group projects prove to be much different.  Each and every one of my peers worked extremely hard to get into this program, they are focused, determined, conscientious students who prepare in advance for work.  For almost all of our CMDS assignments, we are placed into groups either organized by the students or pre-chosen by the professor.  


From Treatment & Therapy Plans, to ASHA Overview Presentations, Case Study Papers to raising a child together on "Virtual Child", we are asked to work together, communicate and understand one another to create mindful, insightful presentations, papers, and reports.  Working with these students has proved to be rewarding.  I am learning from my peers and they are learning from me.  We all come from different backgrounds, with the same passion for our field of study.  I am looking forward to learning from my peers, bouncing ideas off of them and for the first time in my student career, I can actually say I do not mind working in groups!


- Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment