Friday, September 27, 2013

Why Stockton?



As an incoming freshmen, I knew I wanted to be an occupational therapist. However, at that point I wasn't sure where I wanted to go for graduate school. I became an active member of the OT Club and was treasurer for all my undergraduate years. It allowed me to learn much more about the program and get to know some of the MSOT students. For years all I heard were positive comments about the program, the profession, the professors, and the students. Still, I wanted to learn more about other programs and applied to a couple other schools. When I received acceptance letters from those schools, it was not difficult for me to decline. I knew Stockton was the school for me. The day I received my acceptance letter from Stockton was one of the greatest days and I am still so thankful to be in such an amazing program!

I absolutely love the program. I am learning so much information every single day! Each semester you take 18 credits which is A LOT of work! We have class 4 days a week, which will soon turn into 5 days a week with field work.You will be studying every single day and you will be overwhelmed at times.  It's a very intense program but when you finish the program you will come out with so much useful knowledge clinically and academically. 

One of the things I love most is that every week we have guest speakers with different conditions that we are learning about such as bipolar, anxiety, and schizophrenia. The speakers help us understand their conditions better which I believe will be beneficial when I am a practicing occupational therapist. We work on a lot of projects, case studies, and papers in groups which is great because we all come from different backgrounds and can bounce ideas around. Not only do we work among each other we work on projects with the PT students! It helps us understand their profession better while working on interpersonal communication. All of our exams will benefit us in the long run because the professors take questions from the NBCOT exam. Once you finish the MSOT program you have to take the NBCOT exam to get your licences. I think it's so awesome that our professors are already preparing us! This is probably why our pass rate is so high in comparison to other programs. Additionally, the professors are so incredibly awesome. They are not only highly intelligent but they are very outgoing and personable. 

I feel that I am an advocate for the MSOT program at Stockton. I am President of the OT Club at Stockton. Anytime anyone asks me questions about the school or program I get so excited to tell them why it's the best decision I ever made! It's an amazing profession and Stockton is the best school! I would recommend it to everyone!

- Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment