Monday, September 23, 2013

I NEED COFFEE. Coffee, for me and probably hundreds and hundreds of you out there, has been a NECESSITY for every single morning. I started drinking coffee during high school every few days, then almost every day in the first few years of my undergraduate studies, to every single morning and throughout the day in the last year of undergraduate and the beginning of graduate studies. For me, it is absolutely essential to begin my mornings and get me through the day. But what really are the good and possibly bad effects of coffee? It is something we really need?

The Good:
1. The caffeine in the coffee provides the drinker with the morning or mid-afternoon pick up they might be looking for. Now, although caffeine may have a bad reputation for being addicting, it is also proven to help protect against Parkinson’s Disease and even depression.
2. Coffee contains soluable cellulose fibers that absorb more nutrients and keep cholestrol in check.
3. Two or more cups of coffee can prevent gout, skin cancer, and some researchers even believe that coffee can also help protect against breast cancer.
4. If you are a gym-goer, drinking coffee can help ease your gym pain. Drinking a cup of coffee an hour before working out can cut pain in about half. Drinking coffee AFTER going to the gym can also ease pain.
5. Coffee has proven to keep the drinker alert and focused.

The Bad & The Somewhat Ugly:
1. Unforuntately, most of also know the laxative effect of coffee. I think that may be all I need to address for that point.
2. The caffeine in coffee can negatively effect sleeping patterns, especially when consumed before regular sleep times.
3. When combined with acetaminophen (a pain killer), coffee can harm your liver.
4. TECHNICALLY coffee can KILL! Caution: don’t overdo it with coffee, because like any other drug,
caffeine can kill you when consumed in overload. So, all in all, coffee is harmless when consumed in moderation. I still plan on drinking at least two cups a day, maybe more. I can openly say, I am addicted to coffee.

- Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment