Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Studying Abroad & Study Tours

As a graduate student or a prospective graduate student, studying abroad and study tours may seem impossible to incorporate in your studies.  Finding the right semester or right time in your student career to spend time abroad may be difficult to ensure your graduation date stays the same, but it is definitely do-able.

As an undergraduate student, there are some majors that make studying abroad a little more challenging to fit into your schedule.  Majors like Nursing or Speech-Language Pathology may require you to take certain classes in certain semesters in order to keep up with your classmates.


As a Speech-Language Pathology student, I was able to study abroad in London for six months.  To stay up to date and on my graduation timeline, I met with the study abroad advisor, then Ms. Janice Joseph, and my academic advisor.  I found taking general courses that would transfer for my B.S. in Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology came in handy.  Most students seem to take the opportunity to study abroad their Junior year, but I went my Sophomore year to ensure I was not missing any important courses that would keep me even a semester behind.


Some graduate programs offer Study Tours for undergraduate and graduate levels.  In May, 2014, Stockton College will host another Study Tour for its students.  Undergraduate students wishing to join this Study Tour must be enrolled in the GSS: Study Tour class and the graduate students must be enrolled in the MAHG 5022 Study Tour.  This tour will include visits to Germany, Poland, and Lithuania to learn about the Nazi Holocaust and visit concentration camps.  The advisors on the trip will be Mrs. Gail Rosenthal and Dr. Michael Hayse.


Dr. Shameka Johnson, a current graduate level professors for the Communication Disorders Masters program, is organizing the Communication Disorders Study Abroad Cultural Experience program.  This program will give its students hands on experience clinically with children of the Caribbean culture.  Four study abroad trips will be offered for the students in one year to the Bahamas, St. Lucia, and Turks and Caicos.


After experiencing a semester abroad, I can honestly say it was the best experience of my life.  My six months in England were life changing and I think it is important for students to take advantage of this opportunity.  I traveled to Portugal, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Scotland and throughout England while I was abroad and tried to make most of my six months in Europe.  These experiences made me a better person, opened my eyes to different cultures, and taught me so many things I would not learn in a classroom.




 Stonehenge




Tower Bridge



Walking to Buckingham Palace after watching the Royal Wedding
We slept outside of Westminster Abbey and actually saw Kate & Will, the Queen of England etc. on the ACTUAL WEDDING DAY

 




We spent a week on an island in Greece called Corfu at an authentic Greek hostel run by a family.

And Easter at the Duomo in Florence, Italy

I could keep uploading pictures, but then this post would be entirely too long.  Just to give you an idea of my study abroad experience, it was basically the absolute BEST!

I met some absolutely amazing friends.  We try to keep in touch and plan trips so we can see each other even though we live all over the US.  
Our first reunion in San Francisco,California

I strongly urge everyone reading this to visit the study abroad website or stop in the International Studies Office at F-101.



- Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment